Welcome, Unregistered.

Welcome to VTC talk Forums.
Remember Me?
Clearone
Future-proof, affordable, cloud-ready. Itís room video conferencing that simply fits. COLLABORATE Room solutions provide best-in-class video conferencing and collaboration with a price-point and feature set vastly superior to that of competing room conferencing solutions. Find out how affordable and compatibly video conferencing can be. Clearone.com
Blue Jeans Network - cloud-based conferencing service
Our mission is to make video communications as easy and pervasive as audio communications, enabling more effective communication and collaboration anywhere and from practically any device.
www.bluejeans.com
Go Back Video conferencing / Telepresence Forum > VTC Hardware > CODEC > Extend camera on 95MXP to 60ft?

Old 05-01-2012   #1
korereactor
Rookie Member

korereactor - Has only 10 Tech Points
Question Extend camera on 95MXP to 60ft?

Anyone know of a "proper" way to extend a camera on a Tandberg 95 MXP endpoint to around 60ft? I know there are extenders, but don't you then have to plug the camera in with an a/c adaptor? We have a new conference room under construction and they are not wanting to use an a/c adaptor. Anyone? (need full camera functions) Thanks!
korereactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012   #2
avdesign
VTC Professional

avdesign - Has only 10 Tech Points

Yes, the extenders don't carry power, so you need to use a local power supply at the camera. I don't think there's a "supported" way to run power over that distance, but I don't know why it couldn't be done.

This is an ongoing challenge because our cameras are never co-located with the codec. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to use Power Over Ethernet for that purpose. I can't find published specs for the power consumption of a PrecisionHD, but the label on one we just checked says it requires 12volts and 2amps. That would be just under the maximum power available under POE specs (25.5 watts).

In a white paper dated this year Cisco claims to be able to deliver 60 watts over POE. On the surface it would seem the only thing missing is an adapter to connect the camera to a POE power source over Cat5 cable. The cost of a POE supply and an adapter like that might be worth it when compared to the cost of paying an electrician to install a dedicated power outlet, and the hassle of mounting an external power supply at the camera location. Running the Cat5e cable would be less trouble than running the camera extender cables, which you'll have to do regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korereactor View Post
Anyone know of a "proper" way to extend a camera on a Tandberg 95 MXP endpoint to around 60ft? I know there are extenders, but don't you then have to plug the camera in with an a/c adaptor? We have a new conference room under construction and they are not wanting to use an a/c adaptor. Anyone? (need full camera functions) Thanks!
avdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012   #3
Rookie Member

zan@tir.com.sg - Has only 10 Tech Points
Default Repeater Cable for Edge 95

Anyone kind enough to tell me the model no. of the repeater cable? Is it from CISCO. From what I gather, the model/part no. is 1161653. Is this right?

I just need to shift the camera 30ft away (back of the room) from the Codec ?
zan@tir.com.sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #4
avdesign
VTC Professional

avdesign - Has only 10 Tech Points

That part number includes three extension cables and a power supply. Originally it was packaged for the 3000mxp and 6000mxp. It has the length you need, but I don't know if it's certified for use with the Edge codecs. I would think it would work, but you should check with a Cisco dealer before purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Anyone kind enough to tell me the model no. of the repeater cable? Is it from CISCO. From what I gather, the model/part no. is 1161653. Is this right?

I just need to shift the camera 30ft away (back of the room) from the Codec ?
avdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #5
videojunkie1208
VTC Professional

videojunkie1208 - Has only 10 Tech Points

http://www.vaddio.com/product/cisco-...ink-technology

Works with their newer codec's, or if you aren't doing presentation. (it extends the HDMI signal from the camera which theoretically you could plug into the DVI port of the codec.

Otherwise you need local power to the camera.

Last edited by videojunkie1208; 05-14-2012 at 10:26 AM.
videojunkie1208 is offline   Reply With Quote