Welcome, Unregistered.

Welcome to VTC talk Forums.
Remember Me?
Blue Jeans Network - cloud-based conferencing service
Our mission is to make video communications as easy and pervasive as audio communications, enabling more effective communication and collaboration anywhere and from practically any device.
www.bluejeans.com
Go Back Video conferencing / Telepresence Forum > Connectivity > Standards > Video Switching vs Transcoding

Old 02-06-2009   #1
harts112
Rookie Member

harts112 - Has only 10 Tech Points
Default Video Switching vs Transcoding

What is the difference between Video Switching, Transcoding and Continuous presence in regards to the MGC manager software? I am just trying to find out if I should be using a particular one for certain types of calls, like IP, ISDN or IP/ISDN mixed?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
harts112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009   #2
Joe Vallender
Forum Moderator
Member of The VTCTalk Admin Team!!

Joe Vallender - Has over 50 Tech Points Joe Vallender - Has over 50 Tech Points

Video Switching requires all endpoints to connect at same speed and video algorithms. Those that do not match the conference parameters will connect audio only, no video. The video cards are not used for the processing of the video streams.
Transcoding/Continuous Presence allows each endpoint connecting to be a different speed or video algorithm. The video stream is generated by the video cards and transcoded to whatever format each endpoint is using. Transcoding screen layout is one site only whereas Continuous Presence can have all the different screen layouts available.

If the sites don't want split screen layouts and are all using the same type/model of codecs at the same rate, the Video Switching requires less processing by the MCU (video in - video out) and may provide better video quality. However, if you have a myriad of codec types/models and the sites have different network capabilities (1 BRI, 3 BRI's etc) then Transcoding or Continuous Presence will help ensure the full connection of all sites and a successful conference.
Joe Vallender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009   #3
harts112
Rookie Member

harts112 - Has only 10 Tech Points

Thanks for the valuable info, that will help out alot in the future.
harts112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #4
fitzrobbi
Rookie Member

fitzrobbi - Has only 10 Tech Points
Default Assist Marketing

Hello friends,
this is really good info..i also want to know this thanks again
Old 06-29-2016   #5
Bobby Lin
Rookie Member

Bobby Lin - Has only 10 Tech Points
Default Not Much to Add

I think @Joe Vallender pretty much nailed it... there's not much more you could add to that without making it overly complicated. If you need more tips on anything video, though, you can check out the Valoso blog (Google it). I have found lots of valuable articles there. Anyway, hope this helps for future reference!
Bobby Lin is offline   Reply With Quote