Welcome, Unregistered.

Welcome to VTC talk Forums.
Remember Me?
Blue Jeans Network
Extends high quality video communications beyond the traditional boundaries of specialized conference rooms, allowing employees throughout an enterprise to interact more effectively with each other, and with their customers, partners, and suppliers.
www.bluejeans.com
Go Back Video conferencing / Telepresence Forum > General Section > Archived Forum > End Of Sale Cisco MCU 53xx. What to buy now ?

Old 07-09-2017   #1
Fogel
Rookie Member

Fogel - Has only 10 Tech Points
Default End Of Sale Cisco MCU 53xx. What to buy now ?

Was planning to upgrade the reliable Cisco MCU 45xx, but when I looked at Cisco MCU's they have EOS date of May 2017. Does it mean that if I want one today they will not sell one to our company ?
Old 07-09-2017   #2
Nubio
Administrator
Member of The VTCTalk Admin Team!!

Nubio - Has only 10 Tech Points
Exclamation No Worries

So essentially the old strategy was to deploy either the 53XX or 45XX series MCU devices behind a conductor, but you're going to hear more about a product called "Cisco Meeting Server (CMS)" as the future drags on.

The jury is out on how good this product will turn out to be but given that the old TANDBERG crew who didn't go to Cisco during the 2009 transition created it originally when they formed ACANO, i'd bet it'll be fine as long as Cisco doesnt screw it up too horribly.

So the current roadmap from what I know within Cisco is to deploy CMS using their specifically rebranded UCS products (servers) however the deployment can come as a .OVA (vmware) so you can deploy on your own servers if you can meet the specification requirements.

CMS deployment does not really play well with existing TMS beyond typical conference creation/teardown, so if you want to do conference control you'll be needing their accompanying product (due out this month) Cisco Meeting Manager (CMM). CMS is very heavy on DNS, so make sure you have that available if you are considering but i'd get in touch with your Cisco sales rep to start that conversation.

Just a few points:

CMS is not a replacement for how TMS/Conductor/MCUs work, so dont expect the same kind of look and feel.

CMS will have its own operational learning curve, so dont think the same familiarity with the older MCU products will get you by.

CMS really sucks on its GUI, most of its management is done via Command Line currently, hopefully this improves as it continues forward.

Do NOT just forklift from your current solution to CMS, regardless of the what the sales jerk says. There's a lot to consider in its deployment and most Sales dweebs are not overtly familiar with it yet to really tell you much. You want to speak to Cisco Advanced Services as soon as possible. Get a network assessment if able.

Enjoy. Get with me if you have any more questions, i'll be happy to help.
Old 07-12-2017   #3
Fogel
Rookie Member

Default Great info ! Thanks.

Waiting for a Cisco SA to get back with me. Just requested a demo from one of their office. Hoping I do not have to learn to much.

I'm in the process of creating a video network topology for a new company as we speak the same time am planning to suggest we update our topology. Was going to use ..
Small Company
Cisco MCU or Cisco SX 80 or C90 with mcu license
CISCO DX
Polycom Group Series

not really keen on using Polycom RMX
Old 07-13-2017   #4
Nubio
Administrator
Member of The VTCTalk Admin Team!!

Nubio - Has only 10 Tech Points

I do not like the RMX because when you want to change gatekeepers (whether using DNS or just a IP address), you have to reboot the damn thing and each reboot cycle takes like 10 minutes. This was the case the last time I worked with RMX product and never again will I do it willingly.

Other than that the DMA (VCS equivalent) was very heavy on programming fundamentals, so you essentially needed to learn javascript just to do simple search rules or hire polycom experts, which yea, screw that. I mean most people purchase polycom for their price point until they factor in all the support costs (which are often hidden from the sales pitch) and find that they are really paying the same amount they would've paid another vendor like Cisco.

To be truthful, if you are considering cisco you really need to make the Unified Communications Manager your central registrar and call control. Use the VCS equipment to interwork from the H323 standard to SIP and run all your internal video delivery using the SIP standard (stay away from SCCP). This will put you in line with Cisco's end state solution (so far at least). There are many benefits to using the CUCM as your call control, but i'd be typing a novel. Minus the Polycom Group Series, it would handle all your other devices listed just fine. I'd register the Group Series to a VCS using H323 via DNS records personally and call it a day.
Old 07-16-2017   #5
Fogel
Rookie Member

Default Cucm

Thank you again !!

Yes, I did have a Lab set-up at one point until our company split up'd the VOIP and Video .. VOIP decided to go with Avaya and Me for CISCO Telepresence hence I was told to disconnect the CUCM and all it's VOIP phones !!!