Welcome, Unregistered.

Welcome to VTC talk Forums.
Remember Me?
Blue Jeans Network
Extends high quality video communications beyond the traditional boundaries of specialized conference rooms, allowing employees throughout an enterprise to interact more effectively with each other, and with their customers, partners, and suppliers.
www.bluejeans.com

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
ecossu
Rookie Member

ecossu - Has only 10 Tech Points
Default VC Microphones

I need help to define what type of microphones are more suitable for an installation at a classroom. They are buying Cisco SX80. We were suggesting Ceiling Mics but now reading your comments I want to be sure it is a good selection. no brand of my preference.

Edgardo
ATP- Panama
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20170801-WA0002.jpg (50.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20170801-WA0003.jpg (47.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20170801-WA0004.jpg (52.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20170801-WA0014.jpg (57.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20170801-WA0016.jpg (53.7 KB, 0 views)
ecossu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Nubio
Administrator
Member of The VTCTalk Admin Team!!

Nubio - Has only 10 Tech Points
Thumbs up

Take a look at this:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/sol...9-00_tp_dg.pdf

Its Cisco, but there are some fundamentals to building out a conference room which apply universally across vendors. Let us know if you find anything useful to you.
Nubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
ecossu
Rookie Member

Default Vc microphones

Thanks for the info Nubio.
There is no Microphones info on the material submitted.

edgardo
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
Nubio
Administrator
Member of The VTCTalk Admin Team!!

Nubio - Has only 10 Tech Points

Check out page 27, it starts going a bit into depth on acoustic theory. Understanding this may help you evaluate what type of microphones you need for the room. Most of the CTS folks have to learn the theory which help them gauge which mics to ultimately use.
Nubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
AceVid
VTC Professional

AceVid - Has over 50 Tech Points
Arrow

There are trade-offs with ceiling mics in a classroom environment.
While ceiling mics provide a clean-looking install and removes the mics from tables and away from users who have a tenancy to move/damage interfere with them, it also can make for some real draw-backs in terms of interaction/collaboration.

When you pair ceiling mics with VC in a medium to large size room with a single, wide room shot, interaction is for the remote site (say where your instructor or presenter is) becomes a challenge because due to the camera shot, the instructor or presenter many times can't easily tell who is speaking -they can hear them just fine -but pairing the voice with the mouth that's moving and facial expressions becomes a problematic.

I've seen lots of scenarios like this:
>Instructor attempts interaction with site that has ceiling mics and fixed wide/zoomed out shot of students.
>Student responds, but instructor has difficulty determining who responded and asks "Who said that? Can you raise your hand? Wave your arms?"...ridiculous in my opinion.

The model at my org features touch-to-talk mics at student tables/desks.
When a student wants to interact/respond they press their mic which triggers a camera preset. The remote site now sees student in nice head and shoulders shot, can see them emote and truly engage with them. (Like how all the marketing slicks show it yeaaa!)

When the instructor is local, the mic press will also trigger a source switch to the student camera as well as calling the student mic camera preset. When the student turns off mic, the system switches source back to the instructor camera.

...Now I know these days the idea of this get stomped on fairly quickly at times for reasons that have nothing to do with good interaction or collaboration:
"run wires?"
"that will look ugly"
"Mics are expensive"
"clean look only"

So now there are products on the market which go further..

Cisco Speaker Track 60 which features intelligent zoom: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/product...-60/index.html

Cisco Spark room kits also have intelligent camera zoom: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/product...78-738752.html

Now some people will try to trigger camera presets using ceiling mics by using gates, gains, levels etc...I've never seen this work well (not sensitive enough -takes forever to trigger preset due to audio environment or too sensitive -camera zooms around in/out so much you get motion sickness) --I'm not saying it can't be done, I've just never personally seen it.

So, there's my 2 cents...
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
ecossu
Rookie Member

Default Vc microphones

AceVid, thanks for your comments. I will help me a lot.

Edgardo